Going back to ignition


A bloody age ago (curse of  too many bikes) I swapped the flywheel to advance my ignition. Then Mr money bags went and bought an HRC card...

If you want one, don't waste your life and money hanging on for one on eBay. Go to Buyee.com and you will find plenty for sale on Japan's Yahoo auction site. The website acts as a middle man and for a reasonable lump of cash you get a shiny HRC card, I got the older P-010 dry program card with no key as who wants to open their boot when in race mode?

Two things are needed to make this work on your bike:

Wire splice

In an ideal world this part shouldn't be needed as you bought the race wiring harness with your HRC card. 
The idea that a convenient card swap can completely change the way your bike makes power is what attracted me (and many others) to this machine. However the fact that you need to change the entire wiring harness for it to work is just bat shit crazy! Nice on Honda for ruining a good thing. 

The way round this is to perform a wire splice which tricks the ignition into thinking the racing harness is fitted.I wont talk through the wire splice as NSRworld have already done a great job. 

The main change I made was to use Japanese bullet connectors rather than soldering. This gives the ability to chop and change between  road and "race" wiring. Soldering is a lot tidier but I wanted the option to go back to a full road setup as an option hence this choice.


The double female sockets are wired into the earth line ready to short out the neutral, oil level and side stand wires which will then enable the use of the HRC card.
Once I am done faffing with it, I will stick the rubber boot on the loom to make it all tidy again.





Reprogram the keys

Yer that's a plural. I bought my HRC card before really doing any research into key reprogramming. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry.
I contacted numerous agencies around the world but finally got lucky with a guy fixing PGM IV ignition units in Japan on Buyee.
He agreed to take both of my ignition keys and reprogram the HRC card to match my OEM key.
So back my HRC key went to Japan along with my only original key to some guy I didn't know and could barely talk to.
Months later a bundle returned from Japan with my working keys. The chap has since started to advertise on eBay uk making it lots easier to do the same. I am more than happy to tout his business as it will (with a decent sum of money) quieten down the MC21 boys and their easy to derestrict PGM III machines.


 Now the LCD is a big temperature gauge and the odometer tells you what program card you currently have fitted.
Clearly you loose some information because of the wire splice so if you normally rely on the oil warning before you top up then it might be time to change that habit before things get very expensive.
 Two close ups of the screen showing a cold engine with a super cool card in the ignition but more importantly that fleeting HRC SP splash screen. So worth hundreds and hundreds of pounds...



Oh yer that flywheel I changed needs to go back to the original unless you want super advanced ignition and a blown up engine (if it would even start). 
Glad I didn't sell it!

This bike is slowly coming together and I am very excited to get it on the road. This year maybe?

Comments

  1. G'day mate. Just wanted to see how much your hrc card cost you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day again hehe. Saw your zeeltronic post, so does this totally replace the the stock pgm unit. Plus do you know the difference between the hrc card p-010 and p-030. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PGM IV - The ignition that doesnt want to Beta v1.2

Flywheel fun